In an effort to improve the condition of the Amherst Housing Authority's properties, the Authority has developed uniform standards for resident housekeeping.
- The following Housekeeping Standards have been developed for use in apartments owned and managed by the Authority.
- The Standards will be applied fairly and uniformly to all residents.
- Training will be available to any residents requesting or needing assistance in complying with the Housekeeping Standards.
- Repeated failure to abide by Housekeeping Standards, which results in unsafe or unsanitary conditions (as defined by the State Sanitary Code) is a violation of the lease and can result in eviction. Two (2) warnings will be issued, with one (1) month to remedy the condition, before eviction action will commence. Any tenant aggrieved by this decision has recourse to the Tenant Grievance Procedure.
- Any alterations made to any part of the unit by the resident must be approved by the Housing Manager.
- Inspections will be made by the Authority on each unit once a year. However, for a new tenant, inspections will be made every three (3) months for a period of one year, than on a regular annual basis.
GENERAL STANDARDS: INSIDE THE APARTMENT
WALLS: Shall be clean, allowing for normal wear and tear, and free of holes.
FLOORS: Shall be clean, clear, and free of hazards.
CEILINGS: Shall be clean.
WINDOWS: Shall be clean and not nailed shut. Shades will be intact.
WOODWORK: Shall be clean.
DOORS: Shall be clean, doorstops shall be present, where applicable. Locks shall work.
HEATING UNITS: Shall be dusted and uncluttered.
ROACHES AND PESTS: Shall be reported.
DAMAGE: All damages must be reported to Maintenance.
TOILET AND TANK: Shall be clean and odor free.
TUB AND SHOWER: Shall be clean.
SINK: Shall be clean.
EXHAUST GRILLS AND FILTERS: Shall be free of dust.
STOVE: Accessible portions of the stove shall be clean and free of food and grease.
REFRIGERATOR: Shall be clean. Freezer door shall close properly and freezer have no more than one inch of ice.
CABINETS/COUNTERTOPS: Shall be clean and neat, free of grease. and spilled food.
EXHAUST HOOD: Shall be free of grease and dust.
SINK: Shall be clean, free of grease and garbage. Dirty dishes shall be washed and put away in a timely manner. Care and caution should be exercised in using the garbage disposal, if present.
FOOD STORAGE AREAS: Shall be neat and clean, without spilled food.
TRASH/GARBAGE: Shall be stored in a covered container until removed to the disposal area.
CLOSETS: Shall be neat and clean. No flammable materials shall be stored in the unit.
OTHER STORAGE AREAS: (ATTICS, BASEMENTS) Shall be clean, neat, and free of hazards.
OUTSIDE THE APARTMENT
YARDS: Shall be free of debris, trash, and unregistered cars. The grass shall be cut, where applicable.
PORCHES AND BALCONIES: Shall be clean and free of hazards.
STEPS: Shall be dean and free of hazards.
PARKING LOT: Shall be free of unregistered cars. There will be no car repairs.
HALLWAYS: Shall be clean and free of hazards. No storage in hallways.
STAIRWELLS: Shall be clean and uncluttered.
LAUNDRY AREAS: Shall be clean and neat. Remove lint from dryers after use.
NO MATERIALS OF ANY KIND SHALL BE STORED WITHIN THREE FEET OF BOILERS OR FURNACES ALL UNIT DOORWAYS SHALL BE KEPT CLEAR AND UNBLOCKED. NEWSPAPERS AND OTHER FLAMMABLE ITEMS SHOULD NOT BE STORED NEAR HEATING DUCTS.